Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Anonymous Smear Against My Slain Husband

Today, I received the following anonymous comment in response to my post “Army FOIA Lawsuit Coverage in The Journal News.”

OMG its time to move on and go on with your life....YOUR HUSBAND was an ASSHOLE I KNOW I WAS THERE IN IRAQ WITH HIM.....


The venom above is apparently in response to my writing that I desire to prevent future tragedies such as my late husband’s murder by understanding exactly how my husband was killed and how his killer was permitted to go free.

According to my website’s logs, the commentator used a computer associated with Computer Sciences Corporation in Falls Church, Virginia after searching for “widows for justice/allen and esposito” via Yahoo. Reviewing my logs, this commentator has repeatedly visited my website from this IP address as the address shows up several times as the product of the same search terms and search engine. Needless to say, I will be contacting Michael Laphen, CEO of Computer Sciences Corporation, to ask him why an anonymous coward affiliated with his company is publicly smearing my slain husband using his company’s computers and internet connection. I expect a full and proper answer.

I will also briefly address the anonymous commenter’s claim that my late husband was an “asshole” and that I need to “move on.” As much as these comments are beneath my contempt, they nevertheless speak to the larger issues that animated the needless and preventable murder of my late husband and 1LT Allen.
My husband was murdered because of his virtues. A hardworking, just and moral military leader, Phillip was brought into the 42nd Infantry Division to command a grossly undisciplined and unprofessional unit and prepare it for the rigors combat in Iraq. Yet Phillip’s dedication and sense of duty was not met in kind; quite the opposite, the court-martial of his murderer revealed that soldiers of the 42nd Infantry Division deeply resented the discipline and accountability that my late husband worked to instill in his unit.

So when Staff Sergeant Alberto Martinez, the man who murdered my husband, told practically anyone who would listen that he hated Phillip for holding him to account for his professional incompetence and that he wanted to kill him accordingly, Martinez found a largely sympathetic audience among the soldiers of the 42nd Infantry Division. Certainly none of these soldiers ever reported Martinez for his statements and gestures of contempt against my husband as demanded by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and their enlisted or commissioning oaths. Certainly Martinez’s murderous rage was never checked by anything these soldiers did or said to him. And today, much as it was during Martinez’s murder trial, the justification for this galling failure to act has been made plain. As the anonymous commentator posted on my website, my murdered husband was an all-caps “asshole”--the implication being that such “assholes” deserve everything they get, to include their murder at the hands of an unrepentant coward.

The anonymous commenter will no doubt be disheartened to learn that I reject their smear against Phillip and their free advice in regards to my own actions. On the contrary; their post helps to affirm my view that Staff Sergeant Martinez would not have been able to slaughter my husband and LT Allen but for the appalling lack of professionalism and military discipline in 42nd Infantry Division.

I shall not accept my husband’s murder and I shall not “move on” because it serves the vicious interest of some miscreant that my husband had the misfortune of serving with in Iraq. I seek nothing less than justice, and I shall be neither deterred, nor denied.

6 comments:

Nicholas Provenzo said...

It takes a unique kind of depravity to slime a savagely murdered soldier and American hero, and then hide behind “anonymous” as one does it. But this is also par for the course. There has yet to be a full accounting for the larger circumstances that led to Phillip Esposito and Louis Allen’s murder. This anonymous commenter's despicable words here speak to the desperate need for that accounting.

Unknown said...

I can only find the comment you received sickening, as it is emblamatic of how base, and as my son wrote, depraved, a human being can be. Animals are of a higher order than this man...clearly. Phillip falls into that catagory of men and women who posess a nobility of Spirit that many can only aspire to...hoping to even touch the coatails of such dedication to principles of honor. I only hope you realize that the light of your husband can never be diminished, nor tarnished, no matter how foul the attempt. Perhaps that is what gauls this lesser being...somewhere he knows he is light years from ever possessing that kind of grace...his visciousness proves that. Again, my son has expressed my thoughts well, and I am grateful that both your efforts will help prevent others from experiencing any semblance of this experience.

Anonymous said...

Hello Maam,
Your husband was a strong, confident Commander. He demanded the best from his NCO's. That in turn, made us a better, stronger unit. Unfortunately, there are people out there that are disrespectful and rude. Please don't allow these humans, if I should even call them that, to stop your pursuit of justice. We are to abide by 7 Army Values, which was lacking. SSG Martinez never came to me about hating the CPT so much that he would Kill him. If that had happened, I would have addressed the issue, not saying it would of helped. Especially in the position I was tasked to on FOB Danger. Finally, I carry your husband’s company coin in my wallet everyday. Not because he passed or was murdered, but because he was a great Officer.

Unknown said...

Ma'am,

I had the honor and privilege to serve with your husband when he was a new Lieutenant at Fort Hood. I was his tank mechanic and spent a great deal of time with him. He made a difference in my life. He was an amazing leader, a true role model, and one of the greatest human beings I have ever known. What happened to him was senseless beyond words, but I will forever cherish the time I was able to spend with him.

-David

Unknown said...

Ma'am,

I had the honor and privilege to serve with your husband when he was a new Lieutenant at Fort Hood. I was his tank mechanic and spent a great deal of time with him. He made a difference in my life. He was an amazing leader, a true role model, and one of the greatest human beings I have ever known. What happened to him was senseless beyond words, but I will forever cherish the time I was able to spend with him.

-David

Siobhan Esposito said...

Thank you,David for your very kind words.